IUMI Conference Award
About the CBMU IUMI Conference Award:
The CBMU IUMI Conference Award was created to encourage new or younger marine insurance professionals in Canada to attend the IUMI Conference and provide them with an opportunity to be introduced to the international marine insurance community. The award will cover the IUMI 2018 Conference Registration as well as transportation and accommodations expenses, for a total amount of $7,500 CAD. The 2018 IUMI Conference is taking place September 16th to September 19th 2018 in Cape Town, South Africa.
1. Eligibility: Anyone working in Marine Insurance in Canada for a corporate member company of the CBMU, at least 3 years and not more than 15 years of experience.
2. The candidate participates upon one of the CBMU committees or will join on the year of the IUMI Conference.
3. CBMU Board members not eligible.
4. The recipient is expected to attend all sessions of the IUMI conference and provide a 3 to 5 page written report summarizing what they have taken away from the conference within 30 days of the end of the IUMI conference to be posted upon our CBMU website.
5. Participant has never been to an IUMI Conference previously.
6. Selection will be made by the CBMU Board from the applications submitted.
7. If for any reason any of the above criteria is not met at time of, or before the time of the Conference, the Award could be passed to the second participant or not awarded for that year at the discretion of the CBMU Board.
8. Preference will be given to candidates currently enrolled in the CIP program, especially to those taking marine courses.
Applications will be accepted starting April 2, 2018, with a deadline for all applications to be in by no later than May 11, 2018. The recipient will be announced at our Spring Conference.
Click here to access the IUMI Conference Award application form.
Past Recipients & Reports
2017 - Mark McNeil, Coast Underwriters +/-
Mark was appointed Director of Atlantic Operations, for Coast Underwriters Ltd. in December 2011. Prior to joining Coast Underwriters, he worked for RSA in their National Training Program. Mark has worked at Coast Underwriters’ Toronto, Vancouver and Halifax offices as a Commercial
2016 - Jennifer Bensley, Intact Insurance +/-
Jennifer began her career in marine insurance in the summer of 2011 as a Marine Summer Student with Axa Pacific. After a rewarding summer, she went back to the University of Victoria to complete the final year of her Bachelor of Arts in Political Science with a Minor in European Studies. Upon completion of her degree in June 2012, she returned to the Intact Marine team as an Underwriting Assistant for both the Yachts and Commercial Marine teams. In 2013 she became a Marine Underwriter for both Yachts and Commercial Marine, which then led her to becoming an Intermediate Marine Underwriter in the spring of 2016. She has diligently been working towards completing her CIP designation with a focus on Marine.
To become more immersed in the marine insurance industry she has become an active member of the Marine Insurance Association of British Columbia (MIABC) and regularly attends industry functions. She has assisted the Chair of the MIABC Education Committee for the past two years and most recently became the MIABC Treasurer.
2013 - Lance Rettinger, CNA Canada